0verkill is a client-server 2D deathmatch game in ASCII art. It supports free connecting/disconnecting during the game. Graphics are in 16-color ASCII art with elaborate hero animations including gushing blood and rolling guts.
0verkill features 4 different weapons, grenades, invisibility, and armor. The package also contains reaperbot clients, a simple graphics editor, and a level editor.
- 4 types of gun
- Counting frags and deaths
- Walking, running, jumping, shooting, creeping, walking up the stairs, climbing up and down ladders
- Automatic weapon switching
- Damage depending on distance and hit body part
- Item respawning
- Online help
- Players respawning on random places
- Players can see own death
- Boundless connecting/disconnecting during the game
- Choice of 15 different colors of hero, choice of male/female hero
- ASCII-art graphics in full 16 color text mode
- Client-server architecture
- Client’s motion prediction => decent running on slower lines
- Raw keyboard
- Simple level editor, but not very user friendly, currently only for initiates
- Graphics editor
- Top players list
- Complete X support
- Experimental reaperbots
- Multi level support
- Lethal objects
- Two levels done at this moment
- Experimental 3D support (like stereogram)
- Programmer’s documentation
Developer: Karel Kulhavy, Petr Kulhavy
License: GNU GPL
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.