Safecopy is a data recovery tool which tries to extract as much data as possible from a seekable, but problematic (i.e. damaged sectors) source. The source includes removable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and Blu-ray) and hard disk partitions. The software will resort to device specific low level operations if necessary.
This software has the advantage that the recovery continues even when I/O errors would stop other tools from continuing.
Normal copy tools like cat, cp or dd do not allow creation of an image file from a disk or media device once the reading of a sector has failed.
- Provides more readable output than other recovery tools.
- Resurrect a file from a mounted but damaged media, that copy will fail on.
- Create a filesystem image of a damaged disk or media.
- Resurrect data as thoroughly or quickly as possible, or a combination.
- Resume data rescue operation at a later date with, or without, badblocks output.
- Find corrupted files on a partially successful rescued file system.
- Combine two partial images of rescued data without the actual (damaged) source data.
- Generic hardware access.
- Specify block and skip sizes.
- Incremental data rescuing.
- Supports RAW access.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|