puddletag is an open source audio tag editor similar to the Windows program Mp3tag.
The software uses a spreadsheet-like layout so that all the tags you want to edit by hand are visible and easily editable.
The software depends on Python 2.6, PyQt4, PyParsing, and Mutagen. It’s recommended users also install Chromaprint.
- Batch editing of tags. Write ID3v1.1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, MPEG-4, WMA, APEv2 Tags and Vorbis comments to multiple files at once.
- Renaming files using tags by using patterns and basic tag editing.
- Extracting tags from filenames.
- Automated mass tagging of multiple albums including the ability to enrich existing metadata using one or more metadata sources in a single operation.
- Importing your music library.
- Quick search and replace text in highlighted tracks/fields without having to resort to actions
- Using Actions to automate repetitive tasks.
- Functions – offers the ability to replace text, trim it, perform case conversions, and a lot more.
- Perform web lookups using Amazon (including cover art), Discogs (cover art), FreeDB, and MusicBrainz.
- Full AcoustID integration. AcoustID is a music fingerprinting service provided by Lukas Lalinsky. It works by calculating a unique fingerprint for your audio files and trying to match it to data in the AcoustID database.
- Automatically creates playlists.
- User-defined field mappings.
- Regular expressions.
- Preview mode.
- Supports embedded album cover art.
- Recursive subfolder support.
- Supported formats: ID3v1, ID3v2 (mp3), MP4 (mp4, m4a, etc.), VorbisComments (ogg, flac), Musepack (mpc), Monkey’s Audio (.ape) and WavPack (wv).
- Reads Xing headers to accurately calculate the bitrate and length of MP3s. ID3 and APEv2 tags can be edited regardless of audio format.
- Ability to extend functionality with plugins.
- Opus support.
- Unicode support.
- Internationalization support including Czech, Dutch, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Swedish.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.