OpenShot Video Editor is a non-linear video editor for Linux, built with Python, GTK, and the MLT Framework. The developers’ goal is to create an easy-to-use, powerful, non-linear video editor, with a focus on “User Interface”, “Work flow”, and “Stability”.
OpenShot can easily combine multiple video clips, audio clips, and images into a single project, and then export the video into many common video formats.
It is a versatile application used to create photo slide shows, edit home videos, create television commercials, on-line films, and much more. The software is particularly strong in the areas of editing and compositing, and has been designed as a practical tool for working with high-definition video including HDV and AVCHD.
Create videos for YouTube, Flickr, Vimeo, Metacafe, iPod, Xbox, and many more common formats.
- Supports many video, audio, and image formats (based on FFmpeg).
- GNOME integration (drag and drop support).
- 3D animation.
- Multiple tracks (layers).
- Clip resizing, trimming, snapping, and cutting.
- Non-destructive editing so that the original video clips are never modified.
- Video transitions with real-time previews (lumas and masks).
- Compositing, image overlays, watermarks.
- Title templates, title creation.
- SVG friendly, to create and include titles and credits.
- Scrolling motion picture credits.
- Solid color clips (including alpha compositing).
- Support for Rotoscoping / Image sequences.
- Drag and drop timeline.
- Frame stepping, key-mappings: J,K, and L keys.
- Video encoding (based on FFmpeg).
- Key-frame animation.
- Digital zooming of video clips.
- Speed changes on clips (slow motion etc).
- Custom transition lumas and masks.
- Re-sizing of clips (frame size).
- Audio mixing and editing.
- Presets for key frame animations and layout.
- Ken Burns effect (making video by panning over an image).
- Digital video effects, including brightness, gamma, hue, greyscale, chroma key (bluescreen / greenscreen), and over 20 other video effects.
- Extensive editing and compositing features, and has been designed as a practical tool for working with high-definition video including HDV and AVCHD.
- Support for Blender 2.6.X.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|