KolourPaint is a free, easy-to-use paint program by KDE.
KolourPaint is designed for daily tasks like:
- Painting – drawing diagrams and “finger painting”.
- Manipulating Screenshots – acquiring and editing screenshots
- Image Manipulation – editing screenshots and photos; applying effects.
- Icon Editing – drawing clipart and logos with transparency.
KolourPaint is written in the C++ programming language.
- Undo/Redo Support (10-500 levels of history depending on memory usage).
- Tools (single key shortcuts available for all tools).
- Brush, Color Eraser, Color Picker, Connected Lines a.k.a. Polyline.
- Curve, Ellipse, Eraser, Flood Fill, Line, Pen, Polygon, Rectangle.
- Rounded Rectangle, Spraycan, Text.
- Selections (fully undo- and redo-able):
- Rectangular, Elliptical, Free-Form shapes.
- Choice between Opaque and Transparent selections.
- Full Clipboard/Edit Menu support.
- Freehand resizeable.
- Colour Similarity means that you can fill regions in dithered images and photos.
- Draw transparent icons and logos on a checkerboard background.
- All tools can draw in the “Transparent Colour”.
- Image Effects:
- Autocrop / Remove Internal Border.
- Balance (Brightness, Contrast, Gamma).
- Clear, Emboss, Flatten, Flip, Invert (with choice of channels).
- Reduce Colours, Reduce to Greyscale, Resize, Rotate.
- Scale, Set as Image (Crop), Skew, Smooth Scale, Soften & Sharpen.
- Close-up Editing:
- Zoom (from 0.01x to 16x).
- File Operations:
- Open/Save in all file formats provided by KImageIO (PNG, JPEG, BMP, ICO, PCX, TIFF,…) with preview.
- Print, Print Preview.
- Set as Wallpaper.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.