Last Updated on July 8, 2023
GeoViews is an open source Python library that makes it easy to explore and visualize any data that includes geographic locations.
It has particularly powerful support for multidimensional meteorological and oceanographic datasets, such as those used in weather, climate, and remote sensing research, but it is useful for almost anything that you would want to plot on a map.
GeoViews is built on the HoloViews library for building flexible visualizations of multidimensional data. GeoViews adds a family of geographic plot types based on the Cartopy library, plotted using either the Matplotlib or Bokeh plotting backends.
Features of GeoViews include:
- Provides a library of Element types which make it very easy to plot data on various geographic projections.
- Convenient wrappers for various geometry types. In addition to basic Path and Polygons types, which draw geometries from lists of arrays, GeoViews also provides the Feature and Shape types, which wrap cartopy Features and shapely geometries respectively.
- Feature Element – overlay a set of basic geographic features on top of or behind a plot. These features include coastlines, country borders, and land masses.
- Shape – wraps around any shapely geometry, allowing finer grained control over each polygon.
- GeoPandas extends the datatypes used by pandas to allow spatial operations on geometric types, which makes it a very convenient way of working with geometries with associated variables.
- Designed to make full use of multidimensional gridded datasets stored in netCDF or other common formats, via the xarray and iris interfaces in HoloViews.
- Make complex multi-figure layouts of overlaid objects.
- Uses both matplotlib and Bokeh as its plotting backend. The Bokeh backend has the virtue of offering more advanced tools to interactively explore data.
- Resample large grids.
Support: Documentation, GitHub Code Repository
Developer: Anaconda. The main developers are Jean-Luc Stevens, Philipp Rudiger, and James A. Bednar
License: BSD 3-Clause “New” or “Revised” License
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|