forked-daapd is a DAAP (iTunes), MPD (Music Player Daemon) and RSP (Roku) media server. There’s a web interface that offers playback, trigger manual library rescans, pair with remotes, select speakers, authenticate with Spotify, etc.
It supports AirPlay devices/speakers, Apple Remote (and compatibles), MPD clients, Chromecast, network streaming, internet radio, Spotify and LastFM.
It does not support streaming video by AirPlay nor Chromecast.
DAAP stands for Digital Audio Access Protocol which is the protocol used by iTunes and friends to share/stream media libraries over the network.
forked-daapd is a complete rewrite of mt-daapd (Firefly Media Server).
- DAAP clients, like iTunes or Rhythmbox.
- Remote clients, like Apple Remote or compatibles for Android/Windows Phone.
- AirPlay devices, like AirPort Express, Shairport and various AirPlay speakers.
- Chromecast devices.
- MPD clients, like mpc.
- MP3 network stream clients, like VLC and almost any other music player.
- RSP clients, like Roku Soundbridge.
- MPEG4: mp4a, mp4v.
- AAC: alac.
- MP3 (and friends): mpeg.
- FLAC: flac.
- OGG VORBIS: ogg.
- Musepack: mpc.
- WMA: wma (WMA Pro), wmal (WMA Lossless), wmav (WMA video).
- AIFF: aif.
- WAV: wav.
- Monkey’s audio: ape.
There’s also support for M3U and PLS playlists, smart playlists, as well as support for PNG and JPEG artwork.
Support: GitHub Code Repository
Developer: Espen Jürgensen, Ace Jones, Dustin King, Kai Elwert, Christian Meffert. Firefply Media Server was written by Julien Blache, Ron Pedde and others.
License: GNU General Public License v2.0
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|