bbPress is template driven PHP/MySQL open source forum software, made the WordPress way.
bbPress is focused on ease of integration, ease of use, web standards, and speed. It seeks to avoid bloated features and concentrate on bundling very important features.
The software seeks to make the forum as small and light as possible, but still providing a good range of features.
- Simple to set up.
- Fully integrated – one central account, one unified admin area, and one click install.
- Multisite forums – divide a site into sections.
- Intuitive interface.
- Customizable templates.
- Highly extensible.
- Spam protection.
- Inline Post Reply and Topic Creation Forms.
- Forums List – a list of forums with an option to set the parent.
- Recent Replies – a list of the most recent replies.
- Recent Topics – a list of recent topics, sorted by popularity or freshness.
- Topic Views List – a list of registered optional topic views.
- Login Widget – a simple login form with optional links to sign-up and lost password pages.
- Friendly URLs.
- Bookmark threads.
- User profiles.
- Revisions – stores a record of any post edits and displays this information on the front end of any bbPress topic or reply that has been edited.
- Favorites – mark topics as favorites.
- Avatars – managed using the Gravatar website.
- Subscriptions – to topics and forums.
- Topic tags – allow users to filter between forums and display topics with a specific topic tag.
- Search functionality, works in the same way as WordPress.
- Gravatar and Akismet default plugins. Akismet is an effective plugin and service that will catch various types of spam.
- 5 widgets are provided.
- Supports shortcodes – create macros to be used in the layout of forum content on WordPress pages.
- RSS feeds.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Supplied with our legendary ratings charts.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software.|
|Alternatives to Google's Products and Services examines your options to migrate from the Google ecosystem with open source Linux alternatives.|
|Alternatives to Microsoft's Products and Services recommends open source Linux software.|
|Essential Linux system tools looks at small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy opens up to the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun!|
|Best Free Android Apps. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to the free programming books series|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA|