bashrun2 is an application launcher based on a modified bash session in a small terminal window, providing all the well known bash features like tab-completion and history.
The tool adds application launching capabilities to interactive bash sessions, suitable for a graphical user environment.
It offers an application launcher in the style of a simple run dialog by starting an interactive bash session. There’s also a built-in terminal mode.
Supported terminals are xterm, urxvt, mrxvt, mlterm and aterm.
- Automatic detection of console applications.
- Rules for running console applications in dedicated terminals.
- Run commands with a different user id.
- regexp based command line rewriting (file associations, web shortcuts, etc).
- User-defined actions and extensions.
- Terminal mode available if you want to use a dedicated, bashrun augmented terminal that can be brought up front with a single keybinding in your window manager or desktop environment.
- Remote control features. A lightweight remote interface to an existing bashrun run-dialog session is installed in the current bash session.
- Built-in support for using (Debian’s) urxvtcd script.
- Experimental support for cygwin/cygwin-x.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.