Wings 3D is a polygon mesh modeller. The user interface was designed to be easy to use for both beginners and advanced users alike. It was inspired by the famous Nendo modeller (from Izware).
Wings 3D is named after the winged-edge data structure it uses internally to store coordinate and adjacency data, and is commonly referred to by its users simply as Wings.
Unlike similar modelling programs (such as Blender), this program does not provide native support for doing animations (though you can output its models to an animation tool).
- Context sensitive, intuitive interface.
- Configurable interface and hotkeys.
- Wide range of Selection and Mesh tools.
- Exports to common 3d file formats like .obj.
- UV mapper, Vertex Colors, Materials, and Lights.
- Standard tools such as Move, Scale, Rotate, Extrude, Bevel, Bridge, Cut, and Weld.
- Advanced tools including: Sweep, Plane Cut, Circularise, Intersect.
- Bend, Shear, and Inset.
- Magnets and Magnet Masking.
- Virtual Mirror for symmetrical modeling.
- Tweak and Sculpt.
- Edge Loop and Edge Ring selection and navigation tools.
- Smooth Preview.
- AutoUV – add textures to models.
- Ngon mesh support.
- Supports the following import formats: Nendo (NDO), 3D Studio (3DS), Wavefront (OBJ), and Adobe Illustrator 8 (AI), LightWave or Modo (LWO | LXO), Adobe PostScript (PS, EPS), StereoLithography (STL), SVG.
- Supports the following export formats: Nendo (NDO), 3D Studio (3DS), Wavefront (OBJ), VRML (WRL), Renderman (RIB), Hash:Animation Master (MDL), Renderware (RWX), BZFlag (BZW), Cartoon edges (EPS), Kerkythea (XML), LightWave or Modo (LWO, LXO), PovRay (POV), StereoLithography (STL), VRML 2.0 (WRL), Yafray, Toxic and FBX via a third-party plug-in.
- Internationalization support.
Developer: Björn Gustavsson, Dan Gudmundsson, and others
License: BSD License
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|