The Battle for Wesnoth is a turn-based strategy game with a fantasy theme.
Build up a great army, gradually turning raw recruits into hardened veterans. In later games, recall your toughest warriors and form a deadly host against whom none can stand! Choose units from a large pool of specialists, and hand-pick a force with the right strengths to fight well on different terrains against all manner of opposition. Each unit has its own strengths and weaknesses.
Wesnoth has many different sagas waiting to be played out. You can battle orcs, undead, and bandits on the marches of the Kingdom of Wesnoth; fight alongside dragons in the lofty peaks, elves in the green reaches of the Aethenwood, dwarves in the great halls of Knalga, or even merfolk in the Bay of Pearls. You can fight to regain the throne of Wesnoth, or use your dread power over the Undead to dominate the land of mortals, or lead your glorious Orcish tribe to victory against the humans who dared despoil your lands.
- 6 factions to choose from:
- Knalgan Alliance.
- Campaigns are sequences of battles with a connecting storyline:
- A Tale of Two Brothers.
- The Rise of Wesnoth.
- The Eastern Invasion.
- Northern Rebirth.
- The South Guard.
- An Orcish Incursion.
- The Hammer of Thursagan.
- Descent into Darkness.
- The Sceptre of Fire.
- Son of the Black Eye.
- Heir to the Throne.
- Under the Burning Suns.
- Play campaigns multi-player over the LAN/internet.
- Fully orchestrated sound track.
- Units hand-animated in a vibrant pixel art style, with semi-realistic portraits used for dialog.
- 17 single player campaigns and 55 multiplayer maps to choose from.
- Over 200 unit types in seven major factions, all with distinctive abilities, weapons and spells.
- Face off against other players over the Internet, or challenge your friends over a private/local network or hot-seat.
- Highly moddable engine combining WML and Lua scripting
- Tons of player-made content available from the official add-ons server: new campaigns, factions, and multiplayer maps with new and unique mechanics and artwork.
- Cross-platform support – Linux, macOS, and Windows operating systems.
- Translated into over 30 different languages.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.