Subtitle Composer is an open source text-based subtitles editor that supports basic operations as well as more advanced ones, aiming to become an improved version of Subtitle Workshop for every platform supported by KDE.
- Open/Save Text Subtitle Formats:
- SubRip/SRT, MicroDVD, SSA/ASS, MPlayer, TMPlayer and YouTube captions.
- Open/OCR Graphics Subtitle Formats:
- VobSub (.idx/.sub/.rar), BluRay/PGS (*.sup), formats supported by ffmpeg (DVD/Vob, DVB, XSUB, HDMV-PGS).
- Demux Graphics/Text Subtitle Stream from video file:
- SRT, SSA/ASS, MOV text, MicroDVD, Graphic formats supported by ffmpeg (DVD/Vob, DVB, XSUB, HDMV-PGS).
- Speech Recognition from audio/video file using PocketSphinx.
- Smart language/text encoding detection.
- Live preview of subtitles in integrated video player (MPV, GStreamer, MPlayer, Xine, Phonon) w/ audio stream selection.
- Preview/editing of subtitles on audio waveform w/ audio stream selection.
- Quick and easy subtitle sync:
- Dragging several anchors/graftpoints and stretching timeline.
- Time shifting and scaling, lines duration re-calculation, framerate conversion, etc.
- Joining and splitting of subtitle files.
- Side by side subtitle translations.
- Text styles (italic, bold, underline, stroke, color).
- Spell checking.
- Detection of timing errors in subtitles.
Developer: Mladen Milinkovic, Sergio Pistone, and translators
License: GNU GPL v2
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.