PhotoRec is a data recovery software tool designed to recover lost files from digital camera memory (CompactFlash, Secure Digital, SmartMedia, Memory Stick, Microdrive, MMC, DD rw image, USB flash drives etc.), hard disks and CDs/DVDs.
It recovers most common photo formats, including JPEG, and also recovers audio files including MP3, document formats such as Microsoft Office, PDF and HTML, and archive formats including ZIP. It has been extended to search also for non audio/video headers.
The software recovers files from ext2, ext3, FAT, NTFS and HFS+ filesystems.
PhotoRec is shipped with TestDisk.
- Intuitive interface.
- Software still recovers images even if the file system has been badly damaged or formatted.
- Searches for a wide variety of formats including:
- Video: Macromedia (.flv), MOV video (.mov), Moving Picture Experts Group video (.mpg), Macomedia Compressed Flash (.swc).
- Graphics: BMP bitmap (.bmp), Canon Raw picture (.crw), Canon catalog (.ctg), Nikon dsc (.dsc), JPEG picture (.jpg), Minolta Raw picture (.mrw), Olympus Raw Format picture (.orf), Portable Network Graphics (.png), Raw Fujifilm picture (.raf), Contax picture (.raw), Rollei picture (.rdc), Tag Image File Format (.tiff), Sigma/Foveon X3 raw picture (.x3f).
- Audio: Sun/NeXT audio data (.au), MP3 audio (MPEG ADTS, layer III, v1) (.mp3), Real Audio (.rm), RIFF audio/video (.avi/.wav), Microsoft ASF (.wma), FastTrackerII Extended Module (.xm).
- Archive: Archive (.ace), bzip2 compressed data (.bz2), Tar archive (.tar ).
- Other: Source code written in C (.c), FAT subdirectory, HTML page (.html), Microsoft Office Document (.doc), MSOffice “Open” XML (.docx, .pptx, .xlsx), Portable Document Format (.pdf), Perl script (.pl), Quickbooks (.qbb and .qbw), Registry config file (.reg), Rich Text Format (.rtf), RPM package (.rpm), Shell script (.sh), zip archive (.zip).
- Compatible with Linux, DOS, Windows, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, and SunOS.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|