MegaMek is an open source, networked Java clone of the classic BattleTech, a turn-based sci-fi boardgame for 2+ players. Fight using giant robots on a hex-based map.
One player hosts a game and the rest of the players connect. The connecting players can connect from anywhere with a TCP/IP connection to the host, including the same computer.
MegaMek supports all the rules from the BattleTech introductory box set, most of the rules from the Total Warfare core rulebook, and a number of advanced rules from the Tactical Operations rulebook and some house rules.
The game offers a simple genetic-algorithm-driven bot that one can play against, though so far its intelligence is limited.
- Network or hotseat play for 2 or more players.
- A somewhat cunning AI opponent for offline play.
- Choice of ground, atmosphere, or space combat, using Total Warfare rules.
- Many of the optional rules and technology from Tactical Operations, including advanced terrain and planetary conditions.
- Map board selection and editing.
- Map boards based off official map packs included.
- Mech selection and support for some mech editors.
- Most official mech designs included.
- Colourful graphics.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|