LAME is a program which can be used to create compressed audio files. These audio files can be played back by popular mp3 players such as mp3blaster.
LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3 encoding. The goal of the LAME project is to use the open source model to improve the psycho acoustics, noise shaping and speed of MP3.
LAME originally stood for LAME Ain’t an Mp3 Encoder.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library.
- Free format encoding and decoding.
- Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software.
- GPSYCHO: a GPL’d psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerful and easy to use presets.
- Quality better than all other encoders at most bitrates.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|