Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion is a cross-platform port of Hexen II.
Hexen II is a first-person shooter computer game developed by Raven Software, the third game in the Hexen/Heretic series, and the last in the Serpent Riders trilogy. Using a modified Quake engine, it features single player and multi player game modes, as well as four character classes to choose from, each with different abilities.
Hexen II: Hammer of Thyrion includes many bugfixes, improved sound and video modes, OpenGL improvements and documentation.
Hexen II source, and the Hammer of Thyrion source port, are free but the game itself is not. You must have an original copy of the game released by Raven Software and Activision, else you can only play the demonstration version.
- Support for Hexen II, Hexen II demo, Portal of Praevus mission pack and HexenWorld.
- In-game resolution changing for both OpenGL and software renderers. Instant fullscreen/windowed toggling.
- OpenGL enhancements including multitexturing, glow effects, working brightness control, text and hud size changing on the fly, translucent console background, console background stretching, colored lights and support for external lit files, fixes for texture cache and model mesh cache mismatches.
- Fully network-compatible with Raven’s 1.11 windows version as well as with other Hexen II ports. Can load and play games saved with Raven’s 1.11 windows version.
- Fullscreen intermissions and help dialogs.
- MouseWheel support.
- Improvements and fixes to the HexenC game code.
- Improved sound support: A selection of three different sound drivers (ALSA, OSS and SDL).
- Working music volume controls and on the fly selection of CD or MIDI music.
- Full user directories support: all users have their own configuration files and game saves.
- Improved console functionality (inline editing and tab completion), and a maplist command.
- Ability to delete saved games from within the game.
- Several hexen2 utilities (hcc: the hexenc compiler, and other mapping tools) are maintained.
- Several hexenworld utilities (hwmaster: hexenworld master server, hwmquery: tool for querying hw master servers, hwrcon and hwterm: rcon tools) are maintained and are being kept up to date.
- Many bug fixes, security fixes and other improvements.
- Supported operating systems / platforms: Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, Windows, AROS, MorphOS, DOS, and OS/2. Any other platforms with SDL
support should also work fine. Known to build and run just fine for
QNX, and Nokia internet tablets N770, N800 and N810 using Maemo. There
are separate ports to AmigaOS4, RISC OS, PalmOS, GP2X, and Pandora.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.