Egoboo is a dungeon-crawling action-Role Playing game that has some similarities with Nethack. Although its gameplay is very different, its mood is intentionally similar. Like Nethack, it is slightly quirky, and though it involves frightening monsters and serious situations, it is very lighthearted and often humorous.
Egoboo’s story centres around the capture of Lord Bishop, the king of Bishopia. He was taken away by the evil Dracolich, and brave adventurers have sought to rescue him. The Dracolich hid in the Abyss, which is only accessible through secret Catacombs. The Catacombs are sealed, however, and can only be unlocked by the Legendary Sporks of Yore.
The game uses OpenGL graphics and has randomly generated maps and customizable characters. The objective of the project is to bring the fun and depth of roguelike gameplay, kicking and screaming into the third dimension.
- Over 40 uniquely hand-crafted mystical dungeons.
- 8 player character classes, each with its own abilities and skills.
- Awesome 3D graphics with cute and funny character models
- Play with up to four players using hotseat!
- Has its own scripting language.
- In-game map editor that allows you to create and modify game modules using the game engine. This allows you to see exactly how the module will look in-game and allows for rapid play testing in-game.
- Cross-platform support – runs under Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows operating systems.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.