DarkPlaces is a gameplay modification and a source port engine based on the computer game Quake.
DarkPlaces officially supports the following games: Quake, Quake: Scourge of Armagon, Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, PrydonGate, GoodBsBad2, BattleMech, Nehahra, and Nexuiz.
The software adds a wealth of features including enhanced network code, with asynchronous delta compression inspired by Tribes networking, real-time lighting, and bump mapping, a built in server browser. The engine makes use of the OpenGL shading language and supports Ogg Vorbis.
- Redesigned effects including smoke, blood, bubbles and explosions.
- Better looking dynamic lights.
- External texture support
- Realtime bumpmapped lighting/sha.dowing support with many options.
- .rtlights file support (improves performance/appearance of realtime lighting).
- .rtlights file editing.
- Alpha blended sprites.
- Interpolated entity movement and animations (both models and sprites).
- Overbright and fullbright support on walls and models.
- Colormapping support on any q1 model.
- Sky rendering improved.
- Sky polygons obscure geometry.
- Color calibration menu to ensure a proper Quake experience.
- Improved model lighting (directional shading).
- 32bit colour alpha blended explosions.
- Ogg Vorbis sound.
- 7.1 surround sound mixing.
- Stereo sound file support.
- Allows clients to connect through firewalls.
- Works behind firewalls unlike NetQuake.
- More accurate movement and precise aiming.
- 255 player support.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|