DarkPlaces is a gameplay modification and a source port engine based on the computer game Quake.
DarkPlaces officially supports the following games: Quake, Quake: Scourge of Armagon, Quake: Dissolution of Eternity, PrydonGate, GoodBsBad2, BattleMech, Nehahra, and Nexuiz.
The software adds a wealth of features including enhanced network code, with asynchronous delta compression inspired by Tribes networking, real-time lighting, and bump mapping, a built in server browser. The engine makes use of the OpenGL shading language and supports Ogg Vorbis.
- Redesigned effects including smoke, blood, bubbles and explosions.
- Better looking dynamic lights.
- External texture support
- Realtime bumpmapped lighting/sha.dowing support with many options.
- .rtlights file support (improves performance/appearance of realtime lighting).
- .rtlights file editing.
- Alpha blended sprites.
- Interpolated entity movement and animations (both models and sprites).
- Overbright and fullbright support on walls and models.
- Colormapping support on any q1 model.
- Sky rendering improved.
- Sky polygons obscure geometry.
- Color calibration menu to ensure a proper Quake experience.
- Improved model lighting (directional shading).
- 32bit colour alpha blended explosions.
- Ogg Vorbis sound.
- 7.1 surround sound mixing.
- Stereo sound file support.
- Allows clients to connect through firewalls.
- Works behind firewalls unlike NetQuake.
- More accurate movement and precise aiming.
- 255 player support.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.