Pico is a flat file CMS, this means there is no administration backend or database to deal with. You simply create .md files in the “content” folder and that becomes a page.
Pico trades one-click setups and complex management interfaces for blazing speed, flexibility, and a lightweight footprint.
Pico is free and open source software.
- Uses Markdown for formatting your pages. Writing in Markdown is a lot quicker than coding in HTML, and much easier to learn.
- Highly extendable and customizable.
- Good selection of ready-to-go themes and plugins. Pico’s themes are built using Twig Templates. Twig is a template engine which provides an easy and powerful way to customize your website.
- Use Pico with no prior knowledge of HTML.
- All of Pico’s content is stored in flat files. This includes the metadata for your pages as well. Pico places all the metadata at the beginning of each file. The metadata is formatted using YAML, which makes it very easy to manage.
Pico requires PHP 5.3.6+ and the PHP extensions dom and mbstring to be enabled.
Return to PHP-Based Web Content Management Systems Home Page | Return to Flat File Content Management Systems Home Page | Return to Blog Software Home Page | Return to Lightweight Alternatives to WordPress
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|