oVirt is a virtualization platform with an easy-to-use web interface. oVirt is built on libvirt which could allow it to manage virtual machines hosted on any supported backend, including KVM, Xen and VirtualBox. oVirt manages virtual machines, storage and virtualized networks.
oVirt Engine is the control center of the oVirt environment. It allows you to define hosts, configure data centers, add storage, define networks, create virtual machines, manage user permissions and use templates from one central location.
The project consists of the engine core (backend server), VDSM agents and a client side user interface (GWT based) and/or RESTful API to control the engine core.
oVirt has three web-based front-ends – for administrators, users and power users (for self provisioning). It also has a REST based API, a Python SDK and a CLI interface, which allows automation of most of its features.
oVirt is an open source software with backing from Red Hat and it is the base for Red Hat Enterprise Virtualization. oVirt is written in Java, over JBoss application server and GWT web framework for its user interface. VDSMd is written in Python.
- High availability.
- Manage multiple virtual machines.
- Sophisticated web-based management interface for all aspects of your datacenter.
- Choice of means of allocation of VMs to hosts: manual, “optimised”, pinned.
- Live migration of VMs from one hypervisor to another.
- Add new hypervisor nodes easily and centrally.
- Monitor resource usage on VMs.
- Load balancing.
- Manage quotas for use of resources (storage, compute, network).
- Self-service console for simple and advanced use cases.
- Built on KVM hypervisor.
- Enhanced security: SELinux and Mandatory Access Control for VMs and hypervisor.
- Scalability: up to 64 vCPU and 2TB vRAM per guest.
- iSCSI, FC, NFS, and local storage.
- Memory overcommit support (Kernel Samepage Merging).
- Developer SDK for ovirt-engine, written in Python.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|