Other Features & Memory Usage
Here’s a brief summary of the software’s other features:
- Vi / less style search mode.
- Vi style command mode with tab completion. Use commands which are prepended by : and it supports auto-completion using TAB.
- CUE sheets support.
- Excellent compilations handling.
- Uses Unicode internally for all string handling.
- Supports audio scrobbling (to e.g. Last.fm or Libre.fm) etc. via status display programs.
- Can run external commands for the currently selected files (tag-editor for example).
- Can be controlled via UNIX socket using cmus-remote command.
- Supports several color schemes using the :colorscheme command.
- Last.fm and Libre.fm song submission.
- Many extensions and scripts that extend functionality.
cmus stores its metadata in ~/.config/cmus/cache.
cmus uses around 36MB of RAM.
Compared to GUI based music players, there can be large memory savings using console based software. And cmus uses about the same memory as the console-based musikcube.
Pages in this article:
Page 1 – Introduction / Installation
Page 2 – In Operation
Page 3 – Views
Page 4 – Other Features & Memory Usage
Page 5 – Summary