b2evolution is a multi-lingual, multi-user, multi-blog publishing system written in PHP and backed by a MySQL database. It provides similar functionality to blogger or typepad except that it is released under a freely distributable license, and it runs on your own domain / website.
b2evolution is focused on ease of installation and feature richness. It can easily be installed on almost any LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) host in a matter of minutes.
b2evolution generates web pages dynamically from the database, so no clumsy ‘rebuilding’ is involved. It also means faster search/display capabilities, and the ability to serve your posts/news in different ‘templates’ or ‘skins’ without any hassle.
- Advanced browsing (paged, calendar, categories, search…).
- Instant blogging (no rebuilding necessary).
- Multiple users, authors and blogs with a single installation.
- Draft and quick publishing.
- Extended and multipaged posts.
- Supports blog skins and themes.
- Mobile blogging supported (via e-mail, MMS or a client tool).
- Integrated anti-spam including a community shared blacklist — to block comment and referrer spam.
- Integrated statistics.
- Plugin framework.
- Advanced categorization.
- True workflow.
- Paged browsing.
- by year, month, week or day.
- by category.
- Web standards compliance.
- Clean permalinks.
- Comment ratings.
- Podcast support.
- File & photo management.
- Automatic pingng of blog directories.
- RSS and Atom feeds.
- Localized in more than 25 languages.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.