Tremulous is a free, open source game that blends a team based First Person Shooter (FPS) game with elements of a Real Time Strategy (RTS) game. Players can choose from 2 unique races, aliens and humans. Players on both teams are able to build working structures in-game like a Real Time Strategy game. These structures provide many functions, the most important being spawning. The designated builders must ensure there are spawn structures or other players will not be able to rejoin the game after death. Other structures provide automated base defense (to some degree), healing functions and much more…
Player advancement is different depending on which team you are on. As a human, players are rewarded with credits for each alien kill. These credits may be used to purchase new weapons and upgrades from the “Armoury”. The alien team advances quite differently. Upon killing a human foe, the alien is able to evolve into a new class. The more kills gained the more powerful the classes available.
The overall objective behind Tremulous is to eliminate the opposing team. This is achieved by not only killing the opposing players but also removing their ability to respawn by destroying their spawn structures.
- Unique upgrade system where players from each team must make a certain number of kills to gain new upgrades.
- Similar theme and game-play to Natural Selection.
- Players may fight as either aliens or humans, choosing between dozens of unique abilities or helping their team by constructing bases out of a multitude of buildable structures.
- New flexible particle system for Q3 – can create smoke, water, fire easily in Q3 maps.
- 16 buildable structures with in-game functions.
- Play as several alien classes with unique abilities.
- Customize your setup as a human and buy new weapons, armour and items.
- Scale the walls and ceilings as an alien waiting for an unsuspecting human.
- Realistic physics and motion – no bunny hopping or quick back peddling.
- Flexible map system – animated mapobjects, triggering, light flares, etc.
- Large weapons system – don’t like the weapon you have? Sell it and buy a different one, dozens of options.
Developer: Dark Legion Development
License: GNU GPL
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Supplied with our legendary ratings charts.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software.|
|Alternatives to Google's Products and Services examines your options to migrate from the Google ecosystem with open source Linux alternatives.|
|Alternatives to Microsoft's Products and Services recommends open source Linux software.|
|Essential Linux system tools looks at small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy opens up to the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun!|
|Best Free Android Apps. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to the free programming books series|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA|