Spring (previously known as TA Spring) is a project to create the best Real-time Strategy (RTS) game engine ever. It has three main goals:
- Build a flexible and powerful 3D RTS engine that can handle large numbers of units and state-of-the-art special effects and animation.
- Support new games and mods with powerful built-in Lua language support that allows game designers to realize their goals and develop better and better games.
- Support end-users, fix bugs and provide the best support.
Spring is designed to be played as online multiplayer matches. It uses a deterministic game simulation which is executed on all game clients.
The engine is written in C++, using OpenGL, OpenAL, FreeType2, DevIL, SDL, GLEW, boost, 7zip, Lua and streflop.
There are numerous mods in different stages of development including Balanced Annihilation, Complete Annihilation, P.U.R.E, Spring: 1p44 and more.
- Very extensive Lua interface, allowing gameplay changes and custom (G-)UIs.
- Large battles limited only by the power of your computer; support for up to 30000 units and up to 250 players.
- Full 3D combat in land, sea and air, with realistic weapon trajectories (physics simulation engine).
- Full featured lobby clients to easily play multiplayer games on LAN or online, with hundreds of players just waiting for you at any time. Including automatic game and map downloading, chat, friends list etc.
- Complex 3rd party Skirmish AIs (Bots), supporting special game types and many Spring games and mods. They can be coded in Lua, C, C++, all JVM languages (eg. Java), and more languages can be added.
- Several camera modes, allowing for anything to be viewed from almost any angle.
- A powerful UI designed to minimize unnecessary micromanagement that is easily extensible via a Lua API.
- A lot of third party widgets to improve the GUI, the gameplay and the visuals.
- Hundreds of large and highly detailed maps in which to wage those battles in full 3D, with deformable terrain, forest fires, dynamic and reflective bump mapped water, and custom skies.
- Rendering features include deformable terrain, 3D projectiles and multiple water renderers.
- Many different games, made just for Spring.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are Linux-related. This is a new series.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux. This is a new series.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi. This is a new series.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|