K3b (KDE Burn, Baby, Burn!) is a free software CD and DVD authoring application for GNU/Linux and other Unix-like operating systems designed for KDE.
It provides a graphical user interface to perform most CD/DVD burning tasks such as creating an Audio CD from a set of audio files or copying a CD/DVD, as well as more advanced tasks such as burning eMoviX CD/DVDs. It can also perform direct disc-to-disc copies.
The program has many settings which can be customized by advanced users. The actual disc recording in K3b is handled by the command line utilities cdrecord or wodim, cdrdao, and growisofs.
- User friendly interface.
- Creation of data CDs with Rockridge and Joliet support, writing on-the-fly with or without an image file, multi-session support, support for multiple El-Torito boot images.
- Creation of audio CDs with plugins for WAV, MP3, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis included.
- Creation of Video CDs, mixed-mode CDs, eMovix CDs.
- CD Copy.
- DVD Burning and Formatting (DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W).
- CD Ripping with plugins to encode to MP3, FLAC, Ogg Vorbis; CD-TEXT, CDDB info stored.
- DVD Ripping and DivX/XviD encoding.
- Detection of maximum reading and writing speeds, burnfree and Justlink support.
- Blu-ray support.
Developer: Sebastian Trueg and Christian Kvasny
License: GNU GPL v2
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.