Irrlicht Engine is a high performance open source and cross platform 3D engine for creating realtime 3D applications. Its main targets are to be easy to use, extremely fast, extensible and crash safe. Irrlicht is not a game engine, it only does graphics.
The engine is a quite flexible graphics engine, and it is possible to write lots of different applications with it. Some include: complex 3D simulation applications, first and third person shooter games with indoor and/or outdoor scenes, real time strategy games, 2D games.
Irrlicht is popular due to its small size and compatibility with new and older hardware alike, a gentle learning curve and a friendly and supportive community. There are a number of free, open source and commercial games which use the Irrlicht Engine. A few examples are SlamSoccer 2006, MikoChess, Crimson Glory, Alpha Foundation, and H-Craft Championship.
- Easy to use.
- High performance realtime 3D rendering using Direct3D and OpenGL.
- Huge built-in and extensible material library with vertex, pixel, and geometry shader support.
- Seamless indoor and outdoor mixing through highly customizeable scene management.
- Character animation system with skeletal and morph target animation.
- Particle effects, billboards, light maps, environment mapping, stencil buffer shadows, and lots of other special effects.
- Several language bindings which make the engine available to other languages such as C#, VisualBasic, Delphi, Java …
- Two platform and driver independent fast software renderers included. They have different properties (speed vs. quality) and feature everything needed: perspective correct texture mapping,n bilinear filtering, sub pixel correctness, z-buffer, gouraud shading, alpha-blending and transparency, fast 2D drawing, and more.
- Powerful, customizeable, and easy to use 2D GUI System with Buttons, Lists, Edit boxes, …
- 2D drawing functions like alpha blending, color key based blitting, font drawing, and mixing 3D with 2D graphics.
- Direct import of common mesh file formats: Maya (.obj), 3DStudio (.3ds), COLLADA (.dae), Blitz3D (.b3d), Milkshape (.ms3d), Quake 3 levels (.bsp), Quake2 models (.md2), Microsoft DirectX (.X)…
- Direct import of Textures: Windows Bitmap (.bmp), Portable Network Graphics (.png), Adobe Photoshop (.psd), JPEG File Interchange Format (.jpg), Truevision Targa (.tga), ZSoft Painbrush (.pcx)…
- Fast and easy collision detection and response.
- Optimized fast 3D math and container template libraries.
- Directly reading from (compressed) archives. (.zip, .pak, .pk3, .npk).
- Integrated fast XML parser.
- Clean, easy to understand, and well documented API with lots of examples and tutorials.
- Written in pure C++ and totally object oriented.
- Unicode support for easy localisation.
- No dependencies from other libraries. The engine needs no other libraries and sdks to be installed.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|