GPSBabel is open source software for GPS file conversion and transfer to/from GPS units. It has a command-line interface and a graphical interface.
GPSBabel converts waypoints, tracks, and routes from one format to another, whether that format is a common mapping format like Delorme, Streets and Trips, or even a serial upload or download to a GPS unit such as those from Garmin and Magellan. It also has powerful manipulation tools for such data.
GPSBabel supports dozens of data formats and will be useful for tasks such as geocaching, mapping, and converting from one GPS unit to another. Among the interesting formats it supports are several GPS devices via a serial link, various PDA-based mapping programs, and various Geocaching data formats.
GPSBabel is popular in the Geocaching community because it enables people with incompatible GPS units to share data.
- Manipulation tools to alter, filter and improve GPS data:
- Horizontal Dilution of Precision (HDOP).
- Vertical Dilution of Precision (VDOP).
- Compacting GPS data.
- Process data placed on maps, such as waypoints, tracks and routes.
- Microsecond resolution in many formats.
- Other formats supported include: Cetus, CoPilot Flight Planner, CSV, Custom CSV, Delorme Street Atlas, Delorme Street Atlas 2004 Plus, Delorms GPS Log, Delorme routes, DNA, EasyGPS Binary, Fugawi, Garmin serial, Geocaching.com loc, GeocachingDB, Geoniche,GPilotS, GPSDrive, GPSman, GPSPilot, gpsutil, GPX, Holux, IGC, Magellan serial, Magellan SD, Magellan Navigator Companion, Mapopolis.Com Mapconverter, Mapsend, Mapsource, Maptech, Microsoft Streets and Trips, Navicache, Netstumbler, NIMA/GNIS Geographic Names, NMEA sentences, OziExplorer, PalmDoc, PCX5, PocketStreets 2002 Pushpin, PSITrex, Quovadis, Tab-separated data, Tiger, TopoMapPro, Topo by National Geographic, xcsv, xmap, xmapwpt.
- Cross-platform support. The software runs on Windows, OS/X, Darwin, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and other UNIX-based operating systems.
Support: Documentation, Tips, FAQ
Developer: Robert Lipe, Alex Mottram, Olaf Klein, Ronald L. Parker and many other contributors
License: GNU GPL v2
GPSBabel is written in C++. Learn C++ with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|