AssaultCube, formerly ActionCube, is a free first-person-shooter based on the game Cube. It is set in a realistic looking environment, with a gameplay that stays fast and arcade like. AssaultCube was designed to be more realistic and team-oriented than Cube while keeping Cube’s distinctive fast-paced gameplay.
This game is all about team oriented multiplayer fun. There’s no story line, the game is purely about two teams (The Cubers Liberations Army and the Rabid Viper Special Forces) that relentlessly fight each other.
AssaultCube has a growing player base with more than a dozen user-run servers online. AssaultCube also has several gaming clans, some of which participate in organized tournaments. The game’s increasing popularity is likely due to its creative but simple gameplay style, cross-platform nature, and low hardware requirements.
The bots have five levels of difficulty ranging from Bad to Best and you can play against up to thirty two of them.
- Capture the Flag, Hunt the Flag, Keep the Flag.
- Team Deathmatch and Deathmatch.
- One Shot One Kill and Team One Shot One Kill (Sniper rifle only).
- Last Swiss Standing (Knives and Grenades only).
- Team Survivor (Teams fight until opposing team is eliminated) and Survivor.
- Pistol Frenzy.
- 7 weapons to frag enemies:
- Swiss Tech Combat Blade DR-88.
- Mk-77 Semi-Automatic Pistol.
- MTP-57 Assault Rifle.
- Precision Tech AD-81 Sniper Rifle.
- A-Ard 10 Submachine Gun.
- V-19 Combat Shotgun.
- SAL-T3 Grenade.
- Shotgun recoils.
- Mini team-radar.
- Map Overview.
- Water reflections.
- Dynamic player shadows.
- Team chat.
- Spectator mode and “follow player” when dead.
- Cooperative editmode – create new maps together with other people online.
- Low latency, it can even run across a 56 Kbps connection!
- Lightweight size, only about 50 MB to download, plus additional maps average 20 KB each!
- With the correct settings, it can run on old hardware (Pentium III and above).
- Has a built in, in-game map editor to help players create their own maps and allows for co-operative editmode in realtime with others!
- Features a single-player bot system.
- Supports recording of your game by the “demo” system.
- Comes pre-packaged with several dozen different maps!
- Cross-platform – runs on most major operating systems.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.