Apache OpenOffice is an open-source office productivity software suite. It descends from OpenOffice.org and IBM Lotus Symphony and is a close cousin of LibreOffice.
Apache OpenOffice is a full suite of integrated office applications: word processor, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and graphics. Each of the components is well endowed with features and stable.
Like LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org, Apache OpenOffice “forked” from Oracle OpenOffice in 2010. Both LibreOffice and Apache OpenOffice are viable alternatives to Microsoft Office.
- Rich feature set.
- Sidebar docking feature.
- Writer offers document templates, frames, mail merge, a style manager, section-based headers and footers, and much more.
- Calc – a spreadsheet with good feature set including DataPilot, Scenario Manager, and multiple users support.
- Impress – a tool for creating effective multimedia presentations. Presentations stand out with 2D and 3D clip art, special effects, animation, and high-impact drawing tools.
- Draw – makes drawing business processes and diagrams easy.
- Math – component for mathematical equations.
- Base – offers a functional set of database design and formatting tools. Base can function as a front-end to a number of different database systems, including Access databases (JET), ODBC data sources and MySQL/PostgreSQL.
- Extensions and templates available.