Godot is an advanced, open source, feature packed 2D and 3D cross-platform compatible game engine.
The software offers a comprehensive set of common tools, so that users can focus on making games without having to reinvent the wheel.
Games can be exported in one click to a number of platforms, including the major desktop platforms as well as mobile (Android, iOS) and web-based (HTML5) platforms.
- Nodes for all your needs. Godot comes with hundreds of built-in nodes that make game design a breeze. You can also create your own for custom behaviors, editors and much more.
- Flexible scene system. Create node compositions with support for instancing and inheritance.
- Visual editor with all the tools you need packed into a beautiful and uncluttered context-sensitive UI.
- Friendly content creation pipeline for artists, level designers, animators and everything in between.
- Persistent live editing where changes are not lost after stopping the game. It even works on mobile devices.
- Create your own custom tools with ease using the tool system.
- Physically-based rendering with full MSAA support.
- Full principled BSDF with Subsurface Scattering, reflection, refraction, anisotropy, clearcoat, transmittance and more.
- Global illumination for real-time gorgeous graphics. It can also be pre-baked for beautiful results even on low end devices.
- Mid and Post processing effects including a new tonemapper that supports HDR, multiple standard curves and auto exposure, screen-space reflections, fog, bloom, depth of field and much more.
- Easy-to-use shader language based on GLSL, with built-in editor and code completion.
- Dedicated 2D engine offering.
- Flexible animation system.
- Debugging tools including a video memory debugger, and an error logger with full stack traces.
- Supported languages for Godot are:
- GDScript – a high level, dynamically typed programming language used to create content. It uses a syntax similar to Python.
- Visual Scripting – a tool designed to make the entry barrier to programming much lower
- C# 7.0 support using Mono.
- Full C++ support.
- Cross-platform support:
- Editor – Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, and Windows
- Export games for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, Android, iOS, and web.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|