Godot is an advanced, open source, feature packed 2D and 3D cross-platform compatible game engine.
The software offers a comprehensive set of common tools, so that users can focus on making games without having to reinvent the wheel.
Games can be exported in one click to a number of platforms, including the major desktop platforms as well as mobile (Android, iOS) and web-based (HTML5) platforms.
- Nodes for all your needs. Godot comes with hundreds of built-in nodes that make game design a breeze. You can also create your own for custom behaviors, editors and much more.
- Flexible scene system. Create node compositions with support for instancing and inheritance.
- Visual editor with all the tools you need packed into a beautiful and uncluttered context-sensitive UI.
- Friendly content creation pipeline for artists, level designers, animators and everything in between.
- Persistent live editing where changes are not lost after stopping the game. It even works on mobile devices.
- Create your own custom tools with ease using the tool system.
- Physically-based rendering with full MSAA support.
- Full principled BSDF with Subsurface Scattering, reflection, refraction, anisotropy, clearcoat, transmittance and more.
- Global illumination for real-time gorgeous graphics. It can also be pre-baked for beautiful results even on low end devices.
- Mid and Post processing effects including a new tonemapper that supports HDR, multiple standard curves and auto exposure, screen-space reflections, fog, bloom, depth of field and much more.
- Easy-to-use shader language based on GLSL, with built-in editor and code completion.
- Dedicated 2D engine offering.
- Flexible animation system.
- Debugging tools including a video memory debugger, and an error logger with full stack traces.
- Supported languages for Godot are:
- GDScript – a high level, dynamically typed programming language used to create content. It uses a syntax similar to Python.
- Visual Scripting – a tool designed to make the entry barrier to programming much lower
- C# 7.0 support using Mono.
- Full C++ support.
- Cross-platform support:
- Editor – Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, and Windows
- Export games for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, Android, iOS, and web.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.