Godot is an advanced, open source, feature packed 2D and 3D cross-platform compatible game engine.
The software offers a comprehensive set of common tools, so that users can focus on making games without having to reinvent the wheel.
Games can be exported in one click to a number of platforms, including the major desktop platforms as well as mobile (Android, iOS) and web-based (HTML5) platforms.
- Nodes for all your needs. Godot comes with hundreds of built-in nodes that make game design a breeze. You can also create your own for custom behaviors, editors and much more.
- Flexible scene system. Create node compositions with support for instancing and inheritance.
- Visual editor with all the tools you need packed into a beautiful and uncluttered context-sensitive UI.
- Friendly content creation pipeline for artists, level designers, animators and everything in between.
- Persistent live editing where changes are not lost after stopping the game. It even works on mobile devices.
- Create your own custom tools with ease using the tool system.
- Physically-based rendering with full MSAA support.
- Full principled BSDF with Subsurface Scattering, reflection, refraction, anisotropy, clearcoat, transmittance and more.
- Global illumination for real-time gorgeous graphics. It can also be pre-baked for beautiful results even on low end devices.
- Mid and Post processing effects including a new tonemapper that supports HDR, multiple standard curves and auto exposure, screen-space reflections, fog, bloom, depth of field and much more.
- Easy-to-use shader language based on GLSL, with built-in editor and code completion.
- Dedicated 2D engine offering.
- Flexible animation system.
- Debugging tools including a video memory debugger, and an error logger with full stack traces.
- Supported languages for Godot are:
- GDScript – a high level, dynamically typed programming language used to create content. It uses a syntax similar to Python.
- Visual Scripting – a tool designed to make the entry barrier to programming much lower
- C# 7.0 support using Mono.
- Full C++ support.
- Cross-platform support:
- Editor – Linux, *BSD, Mac OS X, and Windows
- Export games for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, *BSD, Android, iOS, and web.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|