Brasero is an application to burn CD/DVD for the Gnome Desktop.
It is designed to be as simple as possible and has some unique features to enable users to create their discs easily and quickly.
It supports multiple backends: cdrtools, growisofs and libburn (optional). This maximizes hardware compatibility with a large range of different writing devices.
Brasero has replaced the Serpentine audio CD burning utility as the standard burning tool in the latest release of Ubuntu.
- Supports edition of discs contents (remove/move/rename files inside directories).
- Burn data CD/DVD on the fly.
- Automatic filtering for unwanted files (hidden files, broken/recursive symlinks, files not conforming to joliet standard, …).
- Supports multisession.
- Supports Joliet extension.
- Write the image to the hard drive.
- Checks disc file integrity.
- Write CD-TEXT information (automatically found thanks to gstreamer).
- Supports the edition of CD-TEXT information.
- Burn audio CD on the fly.
- Use all audio files handled by Gstreamer local installation (ogg, flac, mp3, …).
- Search for audio files inside dropped folders.
- Full edition of silences between tracks.
- Insert a pause.
- Split a track.
- CD/DVD copy: can copy a CD/DVD to the hard drive.
- Copy CD and DVD on the fly.
- Supports single-session data DVD.
- Supports any kind of CD.
- Copy encrypted Video DVDs (needs libdvdcss).
- Erase CD/DVD.
- Save/load projects.
- Burn CD/DVD images and cue files.
- Song, image and video previewer.
- Device detection thanks to HAL.
- File change notification (requires kernel > 2.6.13).
- Customisable GUI (when used with GDL).
- Supports Drag and Drop / Cut’n’Paste from nautilus (and others apps).
- Use files on a network as long as the protocol is handled by gnome-vfs.
- Search for files thanks to beagle (search is based on keywords or on file type).
- Display a playlist and its contents (note that playlists are automatically searched through beagle).
- All disc IO is done asynchronously to prevent the application from blocking.
- Brasero default backend is provided by cdrtools/cdrkit but libburn can be used as an alternative.
Developer: Philippe Rouquier, Luis Medinas
License: GNU GPL v2
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.