UFO: Alien Invasion is a squad-based strategy game featuring turn-based tactical combat against hostile alien forces (human or computer controlled) which are infiltrating earth at this very moment. You are in command of a small special unit which has been founded to face the alien strike force. To be successful in the long run, you must research the alien technology in order to build bigger and better weapons against your foes.
‘UFO: Alien Invasion’ is heavily inspired by the ‘X-COM’ series by Mythos and Microprose. The first game of the series, ‘UFO DEFENSE’, became a classic and is one of the best games ever made.
Like the original X-COM games, UFO:AI has two main modes of play: Geoscape mode and Tactical mode. In Geoscape mode, the game is about base management and strategy. In Tactical mode, the game is about taking command of your team in various missions to combat aliens wherever they might appear.
The game engine is based on a heavily modified version of ID’s Quake2 Engine. But it’s a stand-alone game and doesn’t require Quake 2 or any other program to run.
- Updated engine has modern OpenGL graphics and special effects, increased texture resolution, hardware-accelerated clipping of map layers for toggling between levels, a new animation .system for player models, powerful artificial intelligence, and many other features.
- Multiplayer support via LAN or internet.
- Cooperative team play with multiple players on both sides, up to a maximum of 3 teams for each side, 6 players total.
- Two main modes of play: Geoscape mode and Tactical mode.
- Geoscape – the game is about base management and strategy. You manage the activities and finances of PHALANX, controlling bases, installations, aircraft and squads of armed-response troops. You’ll research new technologies and use their results in battle against the aliens. You’ll launch your interceptor aircraft to shoot down UFOs and dispatch dropships in response to alien activity across the globe. You can build, buy and produce anything you like, as long as your technology level and your budget will allow it. The mode employs easy-to-use time buttons to control the passage of time however you like, automatically pausing whenever there’s an important message for you to see. Research will progress and items will be produced as time passes.
- Tactical – uses a turn-based system, where your team and the aliens take turns to make moves. During your turn you can order your troops to move around, fire their weapons, throw grenades or use other equipment, etc.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.