Thoggen is a DVD backup utility (‘DVD ripper’), based on GStreamer and Gtk+.
Thoggen is designed to be easy and straightforward to use. It attempts to hide the complexity many other transcoding tools expose and tries to offer sensible defaults that work okay for most people most of the time.
Thoggen will generate Ogg Theora video files from your DVDs, having the option to rip ISO images or to access DVD data from a directory. You can also set the quality or size of the output video file.
Besides Ogg/Theora, the software also supports AVI/divx/mpeg4.
- Easy to use, with a nice graphical user interface (GUI).
- Supports title preview, picture cropping, and picture resizing.
- Language Selection for audio track (no subtitle support yet though).
- Encodes into Ogg/Theora video.
- Can encode from local directory with video DVD files.
- Based on the GStreamer multimedia framework, which makes it fairly easy to add additional encoding formats/codecs in future.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.