The Phoronix Test Suite is an open source comprehensive testing and benchmarking platform that provides an extensible framework for which new tests can be easily added.
The suite aims to undertake both qualitative and quantitative benchmarks in a clean, reproducible, and easy-to-use manner.
The Phoronix Test Suite allows for carrying out tests in a fully automated manner from test installation to execution and reporting. All tests are meant to be easily reproducible, easy-to-use, and support fully automated execution.
- OpenBenchmarking.org integration. OpenBenchmarking.org is an open, collaborative testing platform.
- Supports over 450 test profiles.
- Supports over 100 test suites covering a large spectrum ranging from battery power consumption monitoring to multi-threaded ray-tracing benchmarks.
- Extensible testing architecture.
- Automated test installation.
- Dependency management support.
- Module-based plug-in architecture.
- Image quality comparisons – PNG, JPG, GIF, Adobe SWF, SVG graph rendering support.
- Automated batch mode support.
- Global database for result uploads, benchmark comparisons.
- Detailed software, hardware detection – reports detailed information about installed system software and hardware.
- System monitoring support – log in real-time various system sensors like the CPU temperature, the battery power consumption, disk read/write speeds, and numerous other sensors.
- Compare results side-by-side.
- Archive system logs (such as dmesg, Xorg.0.log, lspci, and other relevant outputs) along with the test logs and the installation logs.
- Remote management system that allows the automatic scheduling of tests, remote installation of new tests, and the management of multiple test systems all through an intuitive, easy-to-use web interface.
- Uses an XML-based testing architecture with tests including MEncoder, FFmpeg and lm_sensors together with many OpenGL games.
- Anonymous usage reporting.
- Statistical significance verification – conducts repeated tests to ensure that the result is accurate.
- GTK2 Graphical User Interface + Command-Line Interface.
- More than 80 command line commands including the analysis of test results, validating test profiles, merge multiple test sets, and more.
- Optional Linux-based Live-DVD/USB testing distribution (PTS Desktop Live). This eliminates any software differences in conducting such comparisons by providing a single, standardized software stack.
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.