Joomla is an award-winning free content management system (CMS), which enables people to build Web sites and powerful online applications.
The system includes features such as page caching to improve performance, printable versions of pages, RSS feeds, news flashes, blogs, polls, website searching, and language internationalization. Joomla is licensed under the GPL, and is the result of a fork of Mambo.
Joomla! is used to power all different types of Web sites including corporate intranets/extranets, online magazines, newspapers and publications, as well as e-commerce, and government applications. Non-commercial usage is also popular.
- Completely database driven site engines.
- News, products, or services sections fully editable and manageable.
- Topics sections can be added to by contributing Authors.
- Fully customisable layouts including left, center, and right Menu boxes.
- Browser upload of images to your own library for use anywhere in the site.
- Dynamic Forum / Poll / Voting booth for on-the-spot results.
- Built-in Search Engine URLS support.
- Nested categories.
- Built-in redirect.
- Template styles.
- Wide raft of plugins and applications such as:
- Google Adsense module.
- Automated cron backup through email.
- J!Tags Plugin.
- Extensive Administration Support:
- Change order of objects including news, FAQs, Articles etc.
- Random Newsflash generator.
- Remote Author submission Module for News, Articles, FAQs, and Links.
- Object hierarchy – as many Sections, departments, divisions, and pages as you want.
- Image library – store all your PNGs, PDFs, DOCs, XLSs, GIFs, and JPEGs online for easy use.
- Automatic Path-Finder. Place a picture and let Joomla! fix the link.
- News Feed Manager. Choose from over 360 News Feeds from around the world.
- E-mail a friend and Print format available for every story and Article.
- In-line Text editor similar to any basic word processor software.
- User editable look and feel.
- Polls/Surveys – Now put a different one on each page.
- Custom Page Modules. Download custom page Modules to spice up your site.
- Template Manager. Download Templates and implement them in seconds.
- Layout preview. See how it looks before going live.
- Banner Manager. Make money out of your site.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|