GOCR is an optical character recognition program which is released under the GNU General Public License. It reads images in many formats and outputs a text file.
A simple graphical frontend written in Tcl/Tk and some sample files are provided.
Gocr is also able to recognize and translate barcodes.
- Functions well with different frontends, or can be used as a standalone command-line tool.
- Handles single-column sans-serif fonts of 20–60 pixels in height.
- Image formats supported: PNM, PBM, PGM, PPM, PCX, and TGA.
- With the optional NetPBM installed, GOCR can support: PNG, JPG, TIFF, GIF and BMP.
- Using gzip and bzip2 GOCR handles: pnm.gz, pnm.bz2.
- No requirement to train the program, or store large font bases.
Developer: Jörg Schulenburg
License: GNU GPL v2
Click the button to make a donation via flattr. Donations help us to maintain and improve the site. You can also donate via PayPal.
Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.