GCompris is an educational software suite comprising of numerous activities for children aged 2 to 10. It is intended to become some sort of unified interface to integrate more educational games.
It offers activities dedicated to small children such as learning the mouse and keybord. It teaches letters, numbers, words, basic algebra training, reading time on an analog clock, vector drawing, science, geography and much more. Some of the activities are game orientated, but nonetheless still educational.
It is designed in a way that makes it easy to add new boards.
The interface is designed for easy use by young children. GCompris is controlled with a mouse, it cannot be used without a mouse or a pointing system.
GCompris has more than 100 activities related to:
- Offers more than 100 activities.
- Computer discovery: keyboard, mouse, different mouse gestures.
- Algebra: table memory, enumeration, double entry table, mirror images.
- Science: the canal lock, the water cycle, the submarine, electric simulations.
- Geography: place the country on the map.
- Games: chess, memory, connect 4, oware, sudoku.
- Reading: reading practice.
- Other: learn to tell time, puzzle of famous paintings, vector drawing, cartoon making.
- Cross-platform support – runs under Linux, Mac OS X, Android, iOS, and Windows operating systems.
System requirements (minimum):
- Processor : Pentium 3 500MHz.
- Memory (RAM) : 512 Mega Bytes.
- Disk : 400 Mega Bytes.
- Video : A 3D card is NOT required. 32 bits color depth mandatory.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.