CherryTree is a hierarchical note taking application, featuring rich text and syntax highlighting, storing data in a single XML or SQLite file. This software is designed to store your entries in containers, which some programs call “notes” or “pages” and Cherrytree calls “nodes”.
CherryTree is a place you can store links, pictures, tables, even entire documents.
CherryTree includes a flexible and fast search facility.
- Rich text (foreground color, background color, bold, italic, underline, strikethrough, small, h1, h2, h3, subscript, superscript, monospace).
- Syntax highlighting (only when the rich text is disabled in the current node).
- Images handling: insertion in the text, edit (resize/rotate), save as png file.
- Lists handling (bulleted, numbered, to-do and switch between them, multiline with shift+enter).
- Simple tables handling (cells with plain text), cut/copy/paste row, import/export as csv file.
- Codeboxes handling: boxes of automatically highlighted text into normal rich text.
- Alignment of text, images, tables and codeboxes (left/center/right).
- Hyperlinks (links to webpages, links to nodes/nodes + anchors, links to files, links to folders).
- Spell check.
- Intra application copy/paste: supported single images, single codeboxes, single tables and a compound selection of rich text, images, codeboxes and tables.
- Cross application copy/paste (tested with openoffice and gmail): supported single images, single codeboxes, single tables and a compound selection of rich text, images, codeboxes and tables.
- Copying a list of files from the file manager and pasting in cherrytree will create a list of links to files, images are recognized and inserted in the text.
- Print & save as PDF file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree.
- Eexport to HTML of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree.
- Export to plain text of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree.
- TOC generation for a node / node and subnodes / the whole tree, based on headers h1, h2 and h3.
- Find a node, find in current node, find in all nodes.
- Replace in node names, replace in current node, replace in all nodes.
- Iteration of the latest find, iteration of the latest replace, iteration of the latest applied text formatting.
- Import from Basket, CherryTree, Gnote, KeepNote, Keynote, Knowit, MemPad, Notecase, Tomboy, Treepad lite, Tuxcards, Zim.
- Export to Cherrytree file of a selection / node / node and subnodes / the whole tree.
- Password protection.
- Tree nodes drag and drop.
- Internationalization support: Chinese Simplified, Czech, French, German, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, and Ukrainian.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.