CFengine is a suite of programs for integrated autonomic management of either individual or networked computers. The main purpose of CFengine is to allow a system administrator to create a single central file which will define how every host on a network should be configured.
With this software installed, an interpreter runs on every host on your network and parses the master file (or file-set); the configuration of each host is checked against this file and then, if you request it, any deviations from the defined configuration are fixed automatically.
It takes a while to set up CFengine for a network (especially an already existing network), but once that is done you will wonder how you ever lived without it. This software significantly reduces the amount of time consumed by mundane tasks.
CFengine consists of a number of components:
- cf-agent Active agent – responsible for maintaining promises about the state of your system.
- cf-execd Scheduler – responsible for running cf-agent on a regular (and user-configurable) basis.
- cf-know Knowledge modelling agent – responsible for building and analyzing a semantic knowledge network.
- cf-monitord Passive monitoring agent – responsible for collecting information about the status of your system.
- cf-promises Promise validator – used to verify that the promises used by the other components of CFengine are syntactically valid.
- cf-runagent Remote run agent – used to execute cf-agent on a remote machine.
- cf-serverd Server – used to distribute policy and/or data files to clients requesting them and used to respond to requests from cf-runagent.
- cf-report Self-knowledge extractor – takes data stored in CFengine’s embedded databases and converts them to human readable form.
- cf-key Key generation tool – run once on every host to create public/private key pairs for secure communication.
- A brand new language with a simple uniform syntax and powerful templating features.
- Integrated self-diagnostics and automated self-healing documentation.
- Many features simplified but extended.
- Distributed monitoring and integrated reporting.
- Generic file editing with multiple models.
- Pattern matching and design features to match any environment, large and small.
- Integrated knowledge management using topic maps.
- GPL 3 code for open inspection and security auditing.
- Full integration with existing CFengine 2 systems.
- Auto-encapsulation of CFengine 2 for incremental upgrade.
CFEngine Community Edition is the Open Source foundation of CFEngine’s innovative configuration management technology that helps systems administrators automate and ensure the availability, security and compliance of mission-critical applications and services.
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Linux Around The World showcases events and usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|