The Oracle Berkeley DB family of open source, embeddable databases provides developers with fast, reliable, local persistence with zero administration.
Berkeley DB is written in C with API bindings for C++, C#, PHP, Java, Perl, Python, Ruby, Tcl, Smalltalk, and most other programming languages. BDB stores arbitrary key/data pairs as byte arrays, and supports multiple data items for a single key. Berkeley DB is not a relational database.
Berkeley DB is also used as the common name for three separate products; Oracle Berkeley DB, Berkeley DB Java Edition, and Berkeley DB XML. All three are high performance, self-contained, software libraries which provide data storage services for applications, devices, and appliances.
Berkeley DB is used within a wide variety of open source and proprietary products for telecommunications, networking, storage, security, enterprise infrastructure, financial services, mobile applications, health care, smart metering and many other markets.
- Software Library.
- Fast, transactional database solution.
- Key/value API.
- SQL API by incorporating SQLite.
- Supports ACID transactions and recovery for data integrity.
- Multiple processes.
- Multi-threading for high concurrency.
- Replication for high scalability and available.
- BTREE, HASH, QUEUE, RECNO storage.
- C++, Java/JNI, C#, Python, Perl, …
- Java Direct Persistence Layer (DPL) API.
- Java Collections API.
- Replication for High Availability.
- Fault tolerance.
- Zero oversight administration.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|