There’s a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series. See the Eligibility Criteria section below.
Termux offers both a capable terminal emulator and an extremely useful Linux environment (single user) on your Android device. The app provides full-blown versions of Bash, Coreutils and much more.
A minimal base system is installed, but the real power comes from the tons of packages available with the APT package manager.
- Terminal emulation – access remote servers using ssh.
- Choose your favorite shell and terminal apps. Access the power of Bash, Zsh, Emacs, Vim, nano, and much more.
- APT package management system but Termux is not a Debian or Ubuntu distribution.
- Packages available in Termux are the same on Linux.
- Modern version of Python, Perl, Ruby, Node.js are available.
- Support for keyboard shortcuts and mouse support.
- Use your Android device as a development environment. For example you can compile C files with Clang. Build your own projects with CMake and pkg-config.
You’ll need Android 7+ and at least 200MB of disk space. AArch64, ARM, i686, x86_64 architectures are supported.
Termux is an awesome app for both people wanting to begin their Linux adventures and there’s lots available for experienced Linux users. Besides a capable SSH client, you can use the app to develop software, automate activities with scripting, and to transfer files and synchronization.
Termux is so much more than a terminal emulator. It offers a versatile Linux environment. It’s neither a virtual machine nor any other kind of emulated or simulated environment. All provided packages are cross-compiled with Android NDK and only have compatibility patches to get them working on Android.
|Find all the great free Android apps that meet our eligibility criteria. Never pay for an Android app again!
|For an Android app to be awarded our love, it must satisfy the following criteria:
|High quality with a good set of features, stable in operation and mature software;
|No charge to use the app;
|No intrusive ads in the program;
|Open source and proprietary software can be included;
|Apps where additional functionality is available for a payment can be included where appropriate.