appleseed is a modern, open source, physically-based renderer developed by the VFX and Jupiter Jazz.
The application is ultimately targeted at production rendering.
appleseed is a renderer with a focus on quality and correctness. It is currently in a fairly early stage of development.
- Fully spectral rendering pipeline (31 equidistant channels in the 400-700nm range, configurable at compile-time).
- Distribution ray tracing.
- Backward path tracing with or without next event estimation (explicit direct lighting).
- Forward path tracing (light tracing) with or without next event estimation.
- Progressive, interactive rendering.
- Multiple sampling frameworks available, configurable at compile-time.
- Multiple importance sampling.
- Camera motion blur with arbitrarily many transforms (show me, more).
- Ray traced deformation motion blur with arbitrary many motion segments per object (show me).
- Render layers.
- Ability to use arbitrarily large textures in constant memory budget (user-settable at runtime).
- Fully automatic, transparent color space conversions at runtime.
- Fully automatic, transparent gamma / inverse-gamma correction of textures and output frames.
- Highly scalable multithreaded rendering.
- Fast and robust ray tracing.
- Interactive rendering.
- Unidirectional path tracing.
- Mesh lights.
- Camera motion blur.
- Deformation motion blur.
- Render layers.
- PNG, Wavefront, OBJ, OpenEXR and Alembic file formats
- Pinhole camera.
- Thin-lens camera (depth of field).
- Perfectly diffuse and perfectly specular BRDF.
- Ashikhmin-Shirley BRDF.
- Kelemen BRDF.
- Perfectly specular BTDF with Fresnel reflection.
- Perfectly diffuse EDF.
- Support for CIE XYZ, linear RGB, sRGB and spectral color spaces.
- Mesh lights (any geometry can emit light).
- Image-based lighting, with importance sampling of latitude-longitude maps.
- Support for geometry instancing (with per-instance materials).
- Support for non-physical surface shaders, and for mixing them with BSDF and EDF-based rendering.
- Possibility to add cameras, BSDF, EDF, lights, shaders without touching the core.
- 64-bit support on all major platforms.
Developer: Jupiter Jazz
License: MIT License
appleseed is written in C++. Learn C++ with our recommended free books and free tutorials.
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|