X-Moto is a challenging 2D motocross platform game, where physics plays a key role in the gameplay. You need to control your bike to its limit, if you want to have a chance of finishing the more difficult of the challenges.
A number of strawberries are typically spread around each level, which generally consists of a complicated landscape seen from the side – i.e. much like islands in the sky. You need to collect all these berries to complete the level – when you’ve acquired the last one, you should find the sunflower which will complete the level when you touch it. Variations to this basic gameplay may be found around some of the levels.
Your motocross bike is seen from the side, and you control its throttle, braking, and simple changes to the attitude by jerking the bike back and forth. Additionally you can change the direction of your driving, by rotating on the spot.
- High resolution 2D graphics, using 3D hardware acceleration (OpenGL).
- Uses the Open Dynamics Engine for physical simulation.
- Online high scores (world record and private rooms), including replays of the level’s top run.
- Ghost driver — showing a previous replay in parallel to gameplay.
- Extensible with custom levels, external levels can be automatically downloaded.
- Levels are created using Inkscape with the Inksmoto extension.
- Levels scriptable with the Lua programming language, allowing for moving objects, variable gravity and adding additional player controls.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.