Last Updated on July 24, 2023
Ecasound is a software package designed for multitrack audio processing.
It can be used for simple tasks like audio playback, recording and format conversions, as well as for multitrack effect processing, mixing, recording, signal recycling, and automating audio processing tasks.
Ecasound supports a wide range of audio inputs, outputs and effect algorithms. Effects and audio objects can be combined in various ways, and their parameters can be controlled by operator objects like oscillators and MIDI-CCs. As most functionality is located in shared libraries, creating alternative user-interfaces is easy.
A versatile console mode interface is included in the package.
- Perform most common tasks directly from the terminal console: passive and interactive textmodes.
- Highly optimized real-time engine with real-time reliability.
- Ability to adapt to runtime environment. Automatically adjusts buffering parameters and other performance related options based on analysis of runtime environment and the requested task.
- Support for JACK audio server, LADSPA effect plugins and ALSA kernel sound subsystem.
- Portability and minimal external dependencies.
- Wide rang of audio formats supported including WAV, MP3 MIDI, AAC, FLAC, Module formats.
- Ecatools command-line utils:
- ecaconvert (convert from one file format to another, supports batch processing).
- ecafixdc (fix DC-offset, supports batch processing).
- ecalength (prints audio file information).
- ecanormalize (normalize volume level, supports batch processing).
- ecaplay (play files using the default output, supports batch processing).
- ecasignalview (monitor signal volume in realtime).
- Sound processing components:
- amplify, panning, DC-fix, volume normalization.
- channel mixing and routing.
- dynamics: noise gate, various compressors, limiter.
- filters: lowpass, highpass, bandpass, bandreject, resonant lowpass, resonant bandpass, resonator, comb, inverse comb, allpass.
- envelope modulation: pulse gate, tremolo.
- time modulation: chorus, flanger, phaser, pitch shift, fake-stereo.
- delays: multitap delays, reverbs.
- LADSPA effect plugins – hundreds of sound processing plugins available.
- Controllers (for modifying effect parameters during processing):
- sine oscillator.
- generic oscillator (either using an envelope table with static points or with linear interpolation).
- linear envelopes (fade-in, fade-out, custom/generic envelopes).
- MIDI continuous controllers (CC).
|The largest compilation of the best free and open source software in the universe. Each article is supplied with a legendary ratings chart helping you to make informed decisions.|
|Hundreds of in-depth reviews offering our unbiased and expert opinion on software. We offer helpful and impartial information.|
|Replace proprietary software with open source alternatives: Google, Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, IBM, Autodesk, Oracle, Atlassian, Corel, Cisco, Intuit, and SAS.|
|Awesome Free Linux Games Tools showcases a series of tools that making gaming on Linux a more pleasurable experience. This is a new series.|
|Machine Learning explores practical applications of machine learning and deep learning from a Linux perspective. This is a new series.|
|New to Linux? Read our Linux for Starters series. We start right at the basics and teach you everything you need to know to get started with Linux.|
|Alternatives to popular CLI tools showcases essential tools that are modern replacements for core Linux utilities.|
|Essential Linux system tools focuses on small, indispensable utilities, useful for system administrators as well as regular users.|
|Linux utilities to maximise your productivity. Small, indispensable tools, useful for anyone running a Linux machine.|
|Surveys popular streaming services from a Linux perspective: Amazon Music Unlimited, Myuzi, Spotify, Deezer, Tidal.|
|Saving Money with Linux looks at how you can reduce your energy bills running Linux.|
|Home computers became commonplace in the 1980s. Emulate home computers including the Commodore 64, Amiga, Atari ST, ZX81, Amstrad CPC, and ZX Spectrum.|
|Now and Then examines how promising open source software fared over the years. It can be a bumpy ride.|
|Linux at Home looks at a range of home activities where Linux can play its part, making the most of our time at home, keeping active and engaged.|
|Linux Candy reveals the lighter side of Linux. Have some fun and escape from the daily drudgery.|
|Getting Started with Docker helps you master Docker, a set of platform as a service products that delivers software in packages called containers.|
|Best Free Android Apps. We showcase free Android apps that are definitely worth downloading. There's a strict eligibility criteria for inclusion in this series.|
|These best free books accelerate your learning of every programming language. Learn a new language today!|
|These free tutorials offer the perfect tonic to our free programming books series.|
|Linux Around The World showcases usergroups that are relevant to Linux enthusiasts. Great ways to meet up with fellow enthusiasts.|
|Stars and Stripes is an occasional series looking at the impact of Linux in the USA.|