The first time you run NewsFlash you’re asked to select the RSS service you use.
The software offers support for web-based Feed accounts like Feedly, Fever, NewsBlur, feedbin, Miniflux. There isn’t currently support for services which work with Google Reader style APIs.
There’s also support for local RSS.
Here’s an image of NewsReader in action. The interface is particularly slick and well designed. It’s a real joy to use.
Some of the strengths of the program include fast search and filtering, tagging support, the ability to import and export OPML files, custom font support, as well as customizable keyboard shortcuts.
Other features include:
- Discover RSS Feeds using Feedly’s library.
- Create custom feed tags and categories.
- ‘Star’ articles for easy access.
- Enable/disable thumbnails.
- Choose the time for regular sync intervals: Choose between Never, 15 minutes (default), 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or 120 minutes.
- Turn off fetching updates in the background.
- Only show relevant feeds. This hides feeds without unread/unstarred icon.
- Change the order of the article list.
- Dark mode.
- Themes for Article View: Choose from Default, Spring, Midnight, Parchment, and Gruvbox.
- Export an article.