Frescobaldi is a LilyPond sheet music text editor for KDE4.
It is a powerful program for creating and editing music notation. It aims to be powerful, yet lightweight and easy to use.
Frescobaldi provides a host of features to help you to enter LilyPond music scores as quickly as possible.
- Enter LilyPond scores, then build and preview them with a mouse click.
- Point-and-click support: click on notes or on error messages to jump to the corresponding position in the LilyPond file.
- A Score Setup Wizard that helps you to quickly setup a LilyPond score, generating LilyPond input in a very human-like way.
- Blank staff paper generator.
- Syntax coloring that also signals some often made mistakes.
- Snippet manager to enter Lilypond snippets using keystrokes or mnemonics.
- Context sensitive autocompletion, helping you to enter LilyPond commands.
- Hyphenate lyrics using wordprocessor hyphenation dictionaries.
- Built-in editor to enter and manipulate music:
- Advanced syntax coloring that also signals some often made errors.
- Auto-indent nested structures, those can be folded for quick overview.
- Context sensitive autocompletion, to quickly enter commands and parameters.
- Manipulate pitch (transpose, translate, relative/absolute conversion).
- Manipulate rhythm (scale, copy/paste durations over other music, etc).
- Hyphenate lyrics.
- Quickly enter or add articulations and other symbols to existing music.
- Run the document through convert-ly to update it to a newer LilyPond version.
- Expansion dialog to enter larger snippets of LilyPond input using keyboard shortcuts or short mnemonics.
- A powerful Rumor plugin, using the Rumor program to quickly enter music by playing it on a MIDI keyboard or even your computer keyboard.
- Kinetic scrolling in the music view.
- Built-in MIDI player, terminal, and a blank staff paper generator which creates blank music staff paper and prints it or saves it to a file:
- Five types of staff paper: Single staff, piano staff, organ staff, choir staff, and custom staff.
- LilyPond documentation browser with context sensitive lookup.
- User Guide with help buttons (F1).
- Internationalisation support: Translated into Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Czech, Russian, Spanish, Turkish and Polish.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.