AUCTeX is a comprehensive customizable integrated environment for writing input files for TeX / LaTeX / ConTeXt / Texinfo using Emacs.
The software lets you process your source files by running TeX and related tools (such as output filters, post processors for generating indices and bibliographies, and viewers) from inside Emacs. AUCTeX lets users browse through the errors TeX reported, while it moves the cursor directly to the reported error, and displays some documentation for that particular error. This will even work when the document is spread over several files.
One component of AUCTeX that LaTeX users will find attractive is preview-latex, a combination of folding and in-source previewing that provides true “What You See Is What You Get” experience in your sourcebuffer, while letting you retain full control. preview-latex comes with its own manual.
- Start viewers for DVI, PostScript and PDF output from within Emacs.
- Use forward and inverse search with DVI viewers.
- Generate WYSIWYG inline previews of mathematics, figures, and other constructs which are hard to grasp in plain source view by means of the preview-latex subsystem.
- Insert macros, environments and headings with a simple key stroke or via a menu entry. AUCTeX will help you by prompting for parameters in case of known macros and environments. There is a completion mechanism for partially written macros available.
- Use keyboard shortcuts for inserting math.
- Sophisticated fontification and indentation of macros and environments.
- Fold macros and environments and display their content or a pre-defined string instead. You can temporarily reveal the original text again for editing.
- Run various TeX/LaTeX interpreters and related programs like BibTeX or makeindex from within Emacs.
- View errors of the compiler run and jump to the respective place in the TeX/LaTeX source code.
- Support for macros and environments of many TeX/LaTeX packages with the use of style files.
- Easily extensible by writing your own style files.
- Many aspects of AUCTeX can be adapted to fit your personal working style via the customize mechanism provided by Emacs.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|