TeXworks is a cross-platform, open source, Qt-based, graphical user interface to the TeX typesetting system and its LaTeX, ConTeXt, and XeTeX extensions.
This software offers an environment for authoring TeX (LaTeX, ConTeXt, etc) documents, with a Unicode-based, TeX-aware editor, integrated PDF viewer, and a clean, simple interface accessible to casual and non-technical users.
It offers a built-in PDF viewer using the poppler library; the viewer has auto-refresh capability, and also features SyncTeX support.
TeXworks is inspired by Dick Koch’s TeXShop program for Mac OS X.
- Integrated PDF viewer, based on the Poppler library, supporting source/preview synchronization.
- Continuous scrolling mode.
- Two-pages (spread) mode.
- pdfTeX – an extension of TeX which can produce PDF directly from TeX source. pdfTeX can natively handle the PDF, JPG, JBIG2, and PNG graphics formats.
- pdfLaTeX – converts Latex sources into PDF.
- LuaTeX – an extended version of pdfTeX using Lua as an embedded scripting language.
- LuaLaTeX – LuaTeX engine with the LaTeX format.
- XeTeX – Unicode-based TeX.
- XeLaTeX – Unicode-based LaTeX.
- ConTeXt – an alternative to LaTeX.
- BibTeX – reference management software for formatting lists of references.
- Biber – citation management tool for LaTeX users
- MakeIndex – provides a sorted index from unsorted raw data.
- Supports QtScript, Lua and Python languages.
- Use scripts to add new features (through standalone scripts) or extend existing functionality (through hook scripts).
- Assign custom shortcuts for quick access.
- Customizable access to other files and programs.
- Use some of the bundled scripts to, e.g., set the spellchecker language based on babel options or turn the lengthy console output into a concise list of TeX errors and warnings.
- Command line parser allows for greater interoperability with other software.
- Unicode support using standard OpenType fonts.
- Multi-level undo/redo.
- Search & replace, with (optional) regex support.
- Comment/uncomment lines, etc.
- TeX/LaTeX syntax coloring.
- Spell checking facility.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|