Rosegarden is a professional audio and MIDI sequencer, score editor, and general-purpose music composition and editing environment. It combines a track-oriented audio/MIDI sequencer with a standard music notation editor to provide an “all-in-one” solution.
Rosegarden is an easy-to-learn, attractive application, ideal for composers, musicians, music students, and small studio or home recording environments.
It is designed to look and act in a manner familiar to experienced users coming to Linux from other platforms, whilst also being accessible and friendly to users new to music software generally.
- Allows you to record, arrange, and compose music, in the shape of traditional score or MIDI; data, or of audio files either imported or recorded from a microphone, guitar or whatever audio source you choose.
- Write, edit, and organise music to create a composition, which you can then synthesise, add effects to, and mix down for burning to CD or distribution on the web.
- Contains professional notation editing support for high quality printed output.
- Supports the JACK audio server, LADSPA and DSSI processing and synthesis plugins, as well as advanced features of the ALSA MIDI system such as multiplexed I/O and synchronization with external programs and devices via MIDI clock, MIDI Machine Control (MMC), and MIDI Time Code (MTC).
- Automatic MIDI channel allocation.
- Translations are included for Russian, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Estonian, Welsh, Swedish, Dutch, Japanese, simplified Chinese, Czech, Catalan, and Finnish.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.
The software collection forms part of our series of informative articles for Linux enthusiasts. There's tons of in-depth reviews, alternatives to Google, fun things to try, hardware, free programming books and tutorials, and much more.