Phorum is an open source flat-threaded message board system written in PHP.
Phorum uses a database to manage its messages. It focuses on a generic but customizable user interface and high quality administration functionality.
Phorum is mature software with development started in 1998.
- Sticky topics – topics that stay at the top of the forum they are posted in and do not get bumped down as new topics are posted.
- Unread Topics.
- Spell checker.
- Quick reply box.
- Syntax highlights.
- Message Rating.
- Message Quoting.
- Supports posting in plain text, HTML, and BBCode.
- Email notification
- User selectable timezone (admin may disable it).
- User selectable forum-language.
- User selectable forum-template (admin may disable it).
- File storage area.
- Private Messages.
- Moderate registration.
- Proactive message moderation.
- Moderation from message list.
- Move threads.
- Hide messages / threads.
- Notice in Phorum pages when moderation is pending.
- Spam Hurdles module is included, which includes a number of spam prevention tools, including CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart).
- Localization support with many languages supported including Arabic, Albanian, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, French, German, Hebrew, Romanian, and Swedish.
Requirements to run Phorum are:
- A webserver (like Apache or Microsoft IIS).
- PHP, version 5.2 or above.
- A MySQL server, version 5.0 or above.
|Read our complete collection of recommended free and open source software. The collection covers all categories of software.|